Quantcast Chronicles of a Brooklyn Middle Class Mommy: Who Did I Tell First...

December 14, 2010

Who Did I Tell First...

With the troops hard at work, I wasn’t due for a period until September 12 or 14th so I was patiently waiting (something I don't do very well). But little did I know one of the main symptoms were beginning to take over 2 weeks after...Fatigue!!! Every day I would come home from work and take and say "All I need is a quick nap." I think I even fell asleep a couple times at work. On the weekends I would sleep longer and still need a nap in the afternoon. Then September 3rd came around and I started spotting with some mild cramping and said to my boyfriend, "This is strange, not sure what is going on but very strange!” (secretly though, I knew!)
I woke up extra early the next morning and ran to the corner store to buy a pregnancy test, and because I’m cheap I did not buy a digital one. The first person I called was my sister. After taking the test she asked me to take a picture of the test and send it to her, so I did. There was a plus sign but the line was so light I was unsure. I read the instructions and it said bright as day [It does not matter if the line is light blue or dark blue, if you see a plus sign you are PREGNANT!] LOL. I took two more... same response. My sister could not stop laughing, and then called me selfish for having my baby around her baby’s first birthday, May-ish. Problem Solved: Birthday Party in the delivery room!
Who should I tell next? I briefly mentioned it to my boyfriend but for some reason he did not believe me! So that Sunday I was on the phone with my girlfriend and she mentioned her period being late and how she would lose her mind if she were pregnant. I told her I was on my way but little did she know I had a surprise! Once I got to her house I handed her a brown paper bag and the conversation went a little something like this...
Her: “what’s this?”
Me: “it’s a pregnancy test!”
Her: “I don’t need this, my period will come.”
Me: “it’s not for you, it’s mine!!!”
Her: “WHATTTTTTT?!?!?!?!” and drops the bag with the biggest smile on her face.
I then went to see my father and while in a casual conversation I said, “umm, I may be pregnant.” He simply replied, “Ok.” Unlike my mother, who was over the top excited as well as my aunt. Now keep in mind, according to my last period, Aug12, at this time I was only 3 weeks pregnant so I made It clear to my family and friends to keep this exciting info to themselves.  
[Please note: NO ONE FOLLOWS DIRECTIONS!]

For final confirmation I decided to take a few more pregnancy tests 5 days before my period was due, but this time a digital one. Again, I'm cheap so I was super excited to find a test that was on sale!!! And  "Pregnant" appeared almost instantly! This time boyfriend and he finally believed me. LoL
The hardest part of finding out I was pregnant is waiting three months before making any real public announcement. I was already breaking the rule but for the most part I didn’t tell everybodyYet! Unlike me, my boyfriend can keep things from people. He didn’t tell his best friend for weeks and his family until Thanksgiving.
My advice on who to tell first
Use your best judgement!
Wrap up question…
When is the appropriate time to tell your boss?

 ~BK Mommy2Be

No comments:

Post a Comment