Quantcast Chronicles of a Brooklyn Middle Class Mommy: 90 Days...Seriously?

December 20, 2010

90 Days...Seriously?

During our "Plan" I never thought about what would happen if in the even I find a new job. This was a terrible mistake on my end. As August was ending and pregnancy near I'm realizing that my job is driving me nuts and I have to leave. This was definitely the hardest job hunt ever! I told my boyfriend that if I did not find a new gig by the end of September I was just going to stick it out until the end of the pregnancy. During my job hunt I did not tell anyone I was prego, one it was way to soon and two it was none of their business.

Finally, the last week in September I signed on to my new gig and broke the news to my bosses -- both pregnancy and departure date. Instead of finishing out my two weeks I decided to work one week and take my last vacation week. At the time it seemed like a super idea until my first doctor's appointment came around. It just so happens that the my first appointment was on the last day of my employment which was the biggest headache ever, but I managed to get through it. Not knowing the worst was yet to come!

When I spoke with my soon-to-be new boss one of my main questions were when does my insurance kick in. I'm so sure she said 30 days that I didn't bother to inquire any further at that time. I figured I had my first doctor's visit and wouldn't need another for a while and I could just push my next appointment into the following month. Please keep in mind my start date was the first week in October. While filling out my benefits info something told me to call the company to verify my insurance active date...DEC1!!! I was hysterical sitting at my desk in disbelief thinking what the heck I am going to do for 90 days? 

My advice on New Jobs and Benefits...
DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE HR DEPARTMENT BEFORE START DATE!!!

Wrap up question
Does the date your benefits kick in determine whether you take a job or not?

~BKMommy2Be

No comments:

Post a Comment